Monday, February 19, 2007

Movie Review - Bridge to Terabithia

Leaves rustling, twigs crackling, and boughs creaking overhead through a sun streaked canopy of leaves give the imaginary land of Terabithia atmosphere and a the viewer a quickening of the pulse. The viewers become emotionally invested in the struggles against loneliness, against bullies, and against parental self-absorption as Jess and Leslie create a safe haven from their troubles. Suspense and emotional traumas drive this story.

Special effects were added to update the movie, but the effects added nothing. Overall, the impact of the film would have been heightened had the special effects been left out all together, and the imagination been allowed to explore the unknown corners of Terabithia. In this instance, the filmmakers gave viewers too much information.

3 comments:

Megan said...

I had the same thoughts as you did about the special effects. I liked the book better, where I could use my imagination along with Jess and Leslie. I feel like that was the point, but maybe it would have made for a boring movie.
I felt like I didn't actually pick up on the parental self-involvement so much while I was reading the book, but I definately picked up on it in the movie.

Carolyn said...

Yes, the movie gave too much information to the point of digressing from some main ideas of the book. The relationship between Jess and Leslie seemed to be too "taken for granted" in the movie; whereas the book made the reader think that Leslie had to earn her acceptance. I wonder if the movie should have allowed more quiet time so we might view Teribithia through the children's eyes and thoughts instead of through so much computer-animated action.

Kimberly Brush said...

Your first sentence is awesome! I heard every sound sitting here! When I read the book, I was so intent on the relationships between the characters, I really missed the adventures in Terabithia. I did find that the movie brought home that element of the story, but certainly at the expense of some critical elements of the book. Then again, if all the critical elements of the book had been present, I probably would have missed the adventures again!
Kim